Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My favorite snack!

I'm always in search of yummy dips and appetizers. I recently ran across the blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen written by SusanV. For Halloween she posted the recipe for Spooky Black Bean Hummus. My own tweaks to the recipe was to not use the optional soy yogurt and I did not decorate the dip with soy yogurt or extra tahini. But dispite that difference, it became my favorite snack of all time!!!

It has been a challenge to find vegan safe pita for dipping (there tends to be honey in pita, so if I find a great vegan pita, I will definately review it), but really any vegan breads or chips work great! And for the omnivores, pitas or pita chips are a perfect pairing.

My favorite part about this hummus is the mexican twist. The lime, chipotle & black beans give it that perfect kick. Some other suggestions is using it as a spread on a sandwich or wrap.

Click here for the recipe. (If you haven't clicked above, hehe).

Remember, if you've tried this dip or you decide to try it, please leave a review in the comments.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am a HUGE hummus fan and will definately try this one out, especially since I'm a black bean lover and I can't get enough tahini! I have a fantastic hummus recipe as well.

Traditional HUMMUS

4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
two 1-pound, 3-ounce cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup well stirred tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/2 cup olive oil, or to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted lightly

Accompaniment: Toasted Pita Thins

On a cutting board mince and mash the garlic to a paste with the salt. In a food processor purée the chick-peas with the garlic paste, the tahini, the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the oil, and 1/2 cup water, scraping down the sides, until the hummus is smooth and add salt to taste. Add water, if necessary, to thin the hummus to the desired consistency and transfer the hummus to a bowl. In the food processor, cleaned, purée the remaining 1/4 cup oil with the parsley until the oil is bright green and the parsley is minced transfer the parsley oil to a small jar. The hummus and the parsley oil may be made 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Divide the hummus between shallow serving dishes and smooth the tops. Drizzle the hummus with the parsley oil and sprinkle it with the pine nuts. Serve the hummus with the pita.


****I personally don't use the parsley garnish, I just use olive oil and I serve this with fresh whole wheat pita bread.

BoikMommy said...

Thanks for the recipe!!! I will DEFINATELY be trying that soon! :)